Thursday, December 30, 2010

Big Changes for the New Year

Resigning my teaching position with Portland Public Schools was not a decision that I took lightly. My principal made sure that I thought it was my only option. My union fully backed me and expected to drag this to mediation (very costly for the school district). I had no intention of fighting so hard to work for someone who doesn't want me in his building. There are many details of continued harassment apart from the never ending meetings/observations/evaluations describing my faults as a teacher that wore on me emotionally.

Teaching students with emotional/behavioral needs is a job that requires a certain dedication and consistency; and three new classrooms in four years is not the ideal situation. I was balancing working a difficult job in a difficult situation and going to graduate school. I was barely keeping my head above water, in fact it was under for most of each week with only two days to breathe. This also affected more than school and work, it affected my family as well.

My union rep negotiated to get me on the substitute teaching list for PPS and I also am working on finalizing plans to do behavior consulting for a friend at Willamette ESD. I look forward to focusing on my goal of school psychology.

Thank you to everyone for all of the support, and most of all to Tammy for trusting me with a life changing decision. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment