Before Justin finished off his summer courses at Lewis and Clark we took advantage of the beautiful weather in July by taking a camping trip to Crater Lake National Park. The beautiful weather in the valley translated to scorching 100 degree days near the high desert. The Lake was still breath-takingly blue and well worth the heat.
As classes came to a close, Justin, the dogs, and I started our road trip back east to visit family and friends in Michigan. We made the made the drive in 3 quick days, not wanting to waste any time in the plains. (Justin says next year we will drive it in two 16hr days, hah!) We spent a week and a half in West Michigan catching up with nearly everyone imaginable. It was exhausting, yet refreshing to feel close to some many people again.just before Whitney moved to Nashville!
They were in my classroom my first year teaching.
We went to the Little Brown Jug two or three times with Airin.I have no idea what inspired this, but great memories were made.
We had plans with my parents (and Ginny) to caravan out to Yellowstone National Park on our return trip home. My nephew, Graham, had been eager to visit Portland so we arranged for him to join us on the trip out west. We visited the Badlands NP, Devil's Tower National Monument, Yellowstone NP, and Grand Teton NP over the course of several days. I think I speak for everyone when I say that Yellowstone was the highlight of the trip. We saw bison, coyotes, osprey, moose, elk, grizzly bears, and had a close encounter with a huge black bear. He came within feet of our parked car while spectators snapped their cameras away (my dad included). Graham and I screamed while Justin,who openly embraces his fear of bears, calmly watched the bear cross in front of us. After a night in Jackson Hole, my parents returned east and Graham, Justin, the dogs and I headed on to Portland.
September snuck up fast and Justin and I went into full-force back to school mode. We prepped our classrooms, attended the last Portland Timbers game of the season, and went back to work! After a week back to school, I took a weekend trip to San Fran to visit my close friend Ashley. We had hoped to visit over the summer, but our busy schedules did not coincide. We hadn't seen each other since our trip to Portland in the spring of last year. Ashley and her boyfriend Goran were wonderful hosts. Ash and I spent plenty of time walking the streets and exploring neighborhoods together. It was easy to see how she so quickly fell in love with that city. I am hoping to return with Justin soon!
Haight Street
To celebrate our first (back to work) paychecks, Tiffany and I arranged to get tattoos from Oddball Studios. Tiff got Aiden's name and a swirly, paisley design on her forearm. I got a swirly, florally design on my foot. We had been wanting to go together for a long time and finally did it. The pain was ridiculous at times...we both left saying that we had no intentions of returning soon. A month later we are healed and looking for more, haha.
Airin, Justin's bff from Michigan, came out to visit at the end of the September. They caught up and did all sorts of fun boys things. He also got tattooed at Oddball. I guess it's just something you do in Portland...
One of the five breweries they visited the first day.
Getting ink from Jason. Luckily Airin was much tougher than me :)October is here and almost gone already. We visited The Pumpkin Patch on Sauvie Island with The Bonjernoors last weekend. I still haven't found a pumpkin patch/orchard that has hot cider and doughnuts which is disappointing. Maybe it's a midwest thing. Anyway, if you are out and about, have a doughnut for me. We ended the day with Chili, caramel apples, and pumpkin carving.







Love the update! You are an amazing photographer. Love you guys. Can't wait to see you on the 10th!
ReplyDelete